Saturday, January 8, 2011

Homemade Sushi: A Culinary Adventure

I used smoked salmon, crab meat, carrots, & avocado in top left roll.

 Over the past three years for Christmas, I have received not one, not two, but three sushi making kits.  Initially not having much ambition to make the stuff, thinking that it would just be "too hard to make", after three years I figured I should at least give it a try.  It was worth it.  Now these photos, which were taken by my wonderful and loving husband, were not my first attempt at making these delectable morsels but rather my third or fourth.  I did get better with practice and with many random trips to the grocery store (mostly done by Timm, thank you I love you).

I also used cucumbers & cream cheese in the other maki roll and hand rolls.

If you want to make sushi at home get good ingredients, it makes a huge difference.  The basic tools for sushi making at home can be found in a sushi making kit, found at a store like Barnes & Nobles, or you can shop for individual pieces or full kits online.  The advantage of the kits at Barnes & Nobles is that they come with books that give you step by step instructions as well as many ideas for not only sushi rolls, but soups and even desert sushi (something I will definitely try later when I gain some more confidence).  If you are a visual learner like myself you can look for the kits that come with DVD's or look for sushi making videos on YouTube.com. But try to make sure they are instructed by professionals and not just anybody, such as this one.  I encourage anyone who wants to try this at home to not be afraid, it is okay if they come out looking horrible because they will definitely still taste good.  You just need to make sure that you have quality ingredients and a little bit of time. Enjoy and have fun!

Some sites on making sushi at home:
Make My Sushi
How to Make Sushi: Step by Step Video

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenn, I love sushi, too! But I make vegan ones with tofu, carrots, avocado and so forth.. and you know what I use for sauce?.. I just squeeze one lime, add a bit of sugar and salt. And voila! :) Also, I roll my sushi in a kitchen towel.. shame on me , I have not yet bought that special bamboo thing.. :)
    Jenn, I am so sorry that I am just replying to your comment about my crafts on my blog.. To be honest, I haven't quite figured out this blogger.. Unlike Livejournal, it doesn't send you new comment notifications.. And I couldn't find a way to reply to your comment directly.. so I'll write here, I guess.. So - thank you for liking my crafts! I am a "maker" and cannot NOT make something. As for learning knitting - that is not difficult at all, but personally although I can do both, I prefer crocheting more. You could learn the basics and make some sweet thing for your baby! Or - if you like handmade jewelry - you could learn that, you don't need to know too much to make some pretty things.. and actually - you can crochet some jewelry! Just let me know if you need help on that. And let me know if you want anything custom made :)
    And I want to tell you - I love your baby blog.. working on becoming a momma, I am interested now in any information, and especially personal experience..
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete